Monday, April 14, 2008

My favorite moment ever.



Last night my host dad was helping me with my paper on Albert Camus' La Peste by checking it for grammar errors. Since I'm horrible at french, I'd have to stop and explain what I was trying to say sometimes. I was, unfortunately, very tired last night, so sometimes...it didn't make any sense. This was the most I've laughed since coming here, because I finally participated in french "sarcasm," which I didn't know existed.

Host dad: Je n'ai pas compris ce phrase. (I don't understand what you're trying to say here)

Me: *stare at page* Une malade est un gen qui a un maladie. (A sick person is someone who has a sickness) *trail off*

Host dad: *sarcastically* Merci, je ne l'ai pas su, je dois le dire a Lawrence. *uncontrollable fits of laughter* (Oh thanks, I didn't know that. I'll have to tell Lawrence [his wife])

Me: *incredulous look* *pause* *uncontrollable fits of laughter*

No comments: